View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #43
DougVieyra

Default Re: message received loud and clear

1wonton - "Only a tiny percentage of Model A fans really care about who "wins" a judging contest but no one wants to be associated with an individual who crys about not being "first" then says he's going to quit the club because of it. I surely wont miss him or his attitude."

Well said, 1wonton. That IS the point. No one said 'Life is Fair'. Every aspect of our daily life risks some degree of disappointment or unfairness. It is what life is made up of. After awhile, we grow up and stop complaining. We pick up the pieces and move on.

My 1928 Phaeton won a First Place at the Portland National Meet in 1984. And while I too (few do not) suffered some 'inconsistencies' in the judging, it was NOT the cause that that was the last time I entered it into ANY kind of competition or judging. Focusing on the 'Fine Point', caused me to lose out of MUCH of the FUN that went along with socializing and 'car grazing'. I had reached the 'been there, done that' point. For the last thirty years my '28 Phaeton has been a constant companion, friend, mistress, and daily driver. The judging arena is a combat zone that I do not miss. Again as I said earlier, I understand and sympathize with John Hash's frustration and disappointment. Like me, it may be time for John to just enjoy the car and all the joy it brings to others, and not get involved in the judging world.

- And Brent, 160B, et.al. - 'If' and "may have" are an important part of the message that I don't think you give enough weight to. It does allow that the rest of the sentence may not be true.
- "vermontboy" - 'Emotion' does often time cloud 'facts'. And 'attention to detail' has nothing to do with a college education, as Thomas Edison and Henry Ford can attest.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 07-24-2014 at 04:32 PM.