View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #34
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: message received loud and clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
However, for the person who is not 'hurt' by the 'injustice' , a somewhat clearer picture may emerge. In reading John Hash's post, I sense that "Winning is Everything"! And the most stringent game of all is entering into 'Fine Point' Judging. That is true whether it is ballet, or chess. Or cars.

The driving force behind 'winning', is the extreme attention to detail. That is what separates the the players in the game. And for 'Fine Point' judging 'extreme attention to detail' is both required and demanded, if one is to succeed to the top of the pile. That arena is NOT for very many people. Some don't have the money for it. Some don't have the desire or inclination for it. Some don't have the ability for it. But I suspect most just don't have an interest in such competition. And that is what 'Fine Point' judging is - competition.

However, when emotionalism takes over, we loose some of our objectivity. When John Hash riles with words like 'stinking', his lack of objectivity begins to creep into his argument. I mentioned earlier that 'extreme attention to detail' was needed to succeed in 'Fine Point' judging. I hope I was not the only one who noticed that John Hash's post may have given a clue as to why he did not fare as well as he expected. I am referring to his use of the word 'interred' and 'interring'. Attention to detail would have given us the correct 'entered' and 'entering'. If he lacked 'attention to detail' in such a simple task as writing a forum post, he may have also lacked some 'attention to detail' in his cars upholstery.

There is an old saying - "If you can't stand the heat - move away from the fire". But that does not mean that you have to move out of the building ! There are so many facets to our Model A hobby, and 'Fine Point' judging is - to my mind - the smallest part of it. There are so many fine people, so many fine events, so many fine social activities, and so much more. If John would avoid the 'corrupt' world of 'Fine Point' judging and instead enjoy all the other benefits of the warm camaraderie that make up the Model A family, I think he could 'have his cake and eat it too'.

Doug, asking it this way, does it take someone with a college degree to be able to be a fine craftsman?

As for John's initial post, the way I interpreted his thoughts, he received strong deductions but without explanation as to why. Would his reaction been different if there would have been an explanation and a reference to the J/S for the car owner to compare what is written to what the vehicle has? I definitely think so.

While Marco was just 1 of the 5 on the team, all 5 should share responsibility for Mr. Hash's frustration, however whomever the Team Captain was over that respective area is the person that has the ultimate responsibility to ensure all of his team members are following protocol. It is very apparent they did not do their job correctly. As you put it, their lack of 'attention to detail' by failure to make deduction notes (as instructed to do so) and the Team Captains failure to follow instruction by initialing the Red Alert scores (as instructed to do so) might have given an indication of their poor attention to detail in their evaluation process of Mr. Hash's vehicle. While I am not saying this did happen in this instance, surely you can see how these failures could create some turmoil in a car owner's mind after receiving a low score such as John did.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )