View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #31
[email protected]

Default Re: message received loud and clear

I signed up to be a judge at the MARC Nat'l Meet back in 1996. I don't know if things have changed in the judging since then but I certainly noticed the politics that were in play back then on how certain cars were judged. Certain cars were "pre-judged" by the team leaders before the team could even pick at them.

I also learned of the "Queen For A Day" cars that were being judged. The perfect wheels were from this club member's car. The battery from someone else's car. The NOS fan belt that had been on different fine point cars over the last 8 years, etc.. It was like an inside secret that only the "in crowd" knew.

That judging process (read politics) was such a disappointment to me that I scrapped my own plans for building my fine point car and I never signed up for National judging again.

With that being said, I really do enjoy going to the National Meets when I can and looking at the Fine Point cars. I enjoy it when I talk to the FP owners that say I did the restoration all by myself, then you compliment them on the quality of something. "Oh, that was done by this guy who is the best in the industry." I now know that they are a Contractor and know all the sources and have the check book ready.