View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 10:15 PM   #1
dean from bozeman

Default not the sharpest tool

Well, for those who know me can attest, I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. As a matter of fact I was challenged by a Model A tire iron to a game of Jeopardy and lost.

It is with this background that I must confess that I thought that the two Model A clubs, MARC and MAFCA, were working together on the Judging Standards. I thought that I brought a set of acceptable variances to the MAFCA meet in Puyallup but I left the variances that I used at the French Lick meet at my house.

When I realized that I did not have them with me I panicked. I texted, e-mailed and called Rob Mills, the MARC JSC chairman. Finally he called back from his 3rd shift job and said that he could send a copy. After I called to say that I received them he said something to the effect 'I don't know if they will accept them'. This was very curious I thought.

Color me stupid but I thought that the JSC was a committee of members from MARC and MAFCA. I come to find out that though they are working together on a revision of the Judging Standards, they have separate committees.

In Puyallup, I called the head judge and he said that I should put them on the windshield. My problem was solved or so I thought. Yes, I did put them on the windshield not knowing that they were MARC variances at a MAFCA meet. I come to find that this was like putting up a Blood poster in a Crypt neighborhood??

A day after judging I was informed that my variances from MARC meant nothing at a MAFCA meet. Though the clubs work on the Judging Standards together they do not acknowledge each others variances.

As in a war of competing factions, I feel like collateral damage. I thought that I was doing things right but in the eyes of others, I wasn't. Perhaps I should know better. I belong to three MAFCA local clubs and both national clubs. However, I don't know about the ins and outs of the politics that is being played.

The tire iron laid there and said, 'These clubs should work together and accept each other a bit more. It would certainly benefit our hobby.' Though as previously proven I am not as smart as this tire iron, I just sat there and nodded in total agreement.

Last edited by dean from bozeman; 07-17-2014 at 10:29 PM.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote