View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #26
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: Second version of the throttle assembly

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I hate having to start over on research that was thought to be done but it happens. This is far from completed but I thought the preliminary findings were worth putting out here so folks could offer feedback. Thanks to Rusty for bringing something to light that should have been discovered during the initial research.

As I noted in the other related thread by Steve Plucker, the drawing and info on the "type 2" depicted in the Standards was likely direct from a Ford drawing. However I have a few examples of such drawings where the item was either never put into production in exactly the depicted form OR was used so briefly that matching items cannot be found. To make it even more interesting, the version that WAS produced during the described period not only did not quite match any drawing, the unique characteristics of the production version are not even described in the detailed engineering changes. They made many changes on the fly (especially in 1928) that were either documented much later or superseded before ever being recorded in their exact form.

I've been compiling bits of information and comparing notes with Doug Clayton. It's quite clear that the depicted version for #2 was either never produced or was done so for such a brief period it almost becomes moot. Here is how it looks at this point in time.

The A-9725 throttle control assembly was made from several pieces with the primary part being the A-9728 Accelerator Bracket. The bracket was initially a steel forging which is extremely strong but relatively expensive to produce depending on the shape. Later the bracket was changed to a malleable casting. Type 1 (early '28) clearly used a forged bracket.

In doing my homework I discovered that for a short time (not precisely defined) Ford made the bracket from TWO forgings, A-9748 right half and A-9749 left half. That is what you will clearly see in the photo below from Steve Hanna. Note the weld seam as well as the sharp small forging ID marks to the right of the right mounting hole. This is what I believe is the actual type 2, or at the very least type 2-b quickly replacing the depicted version.

Closely coinciding with the introduction of the type 2 there were two additional parts added. These were A-9731 Oil Wick and A-9733 Oil Plug. I'm guessing the "plug" was the cup that was pressed into the oil holes on the top of the bracket and the wick was a piece of felt. This was brought to my attention in a pic from Tom Wesenberg a few years ago. These APPEAR to be present in the pic below from Rusty.

I can't tell for sure if this assembly is a forging or the newer casting. Some two piece brackets have more subtle welds and need to be looked at very closely. Hopefully Rusty can add some info. If it's a two piece forging it's essentially the same as the one shown above. If it's a casting then I'd call it type 3-a. Note the "flat bottom" below the bell crank.

Here is the second pic from Rusty. Note the change in the bracket supporting the bell crank. It no longer has a flat bottom. This is the traditional type 3 which may be "3-b" depending on the answer to my question above.