View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #68
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Hershey is Dying, Corrections are needed

I'm new to Hershey (1st 2009) but I've sold stuff all my life and when you're dragging too much home, you have to lower prices. We're in a bad (hell, lousy)economy and just can't pay big prices. I for one found very little of what I was looking for. Or to be more correct, I found very little that was at a price I could live with. I was looking for old tin for my 30 Briggs T.S. I found some, but one guy was so stupidly out of line I didn't even try to negotiate with him. It would have been too big a jump to move it into the reasonable zone. I succeed in getting two other guys totally ticked off at me when I told them what I thought the part was really worth. Hell I know that no matter how much money I save, I'm going to be upside down in this project. The question is By how much?
Since this is a non-specific rant, Another point I want to bring up is the lazy habit some sellers have of not pricing their items. It puts me off. Why? Because maybe I don't want to ask him or he's busy with someone else. Maybe he's gone for break and left his totally unknowing wife in charge and all I can get out of her is "He'll be right back!" Hershey's too big and there's too much to see to be waiting around for him. So vendors, Ya wanna do business? Make it easy for me to buy! Don't highball your grungy crap! Recognise Crap for what it is, Crap, and price accordingly. Most 80+ Y.O. parts have had a hard life and it takes a lot of work to restore them. Stop being lazy or sneaky by concealing the price to last minute, Write them down for all to see, including your wife/kids. I love Hershey, even the bad memories are good!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrioletgalaxie View Post
For anyone who has walked Hershey it is understandable that riding a scooter gets the job done without the aches and pains. And lets face it gray or no hair car enthusiasts are older and hence the scooters. One might say the interest in the old cars may be waining, heaven forbid, but true. I understand years ago there were tons of brass cars around. Now look at the car corral and average the age of these cars. Much newer. I saw more brass parts on flea market tables than I did whole brass cars. Times change and think about the future when there will be Honda and Toyota parts for sale at the same tables. Enjoy it while it lasts folks. And finally look at Ford Barn where it doesn't cost anyone a dime to list and sell parts and you can do it in your jammies. I thought about that as I packed up neat Model A parts I brought all the way from Maine to Hershey, paid for 4 motel nights, ate out every nite and then drove back home, with half the parts I brought down to sell.
We all love the "sport" but we can both buy and sell parts more easily than going to Hershey. That being said, I'll be there next year!
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote