View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #50
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Hershey is Dying, Corrections are needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wastler View Post
Great minds think alike, I have been thinking similar thoughts the last couple of years. Haven't been going as long as some of you, but I definitely remember the mud and unbelievable amount of brass in the late 70's. Met master restorer Walter Seeley, with his American Underslung. Oh, Hershey of the past! Fall Hershey and spring Carlise were the must go swaps. Haven't been to Carlise but once in the last 20 years, cause not much there for me. I will continue to go, hopefully for more than one day, and b*tch about the boobs with traffic control and parking, the motorized people movers that have taken over the last couple of years, and the unused spaces. Each year I still feel the excitement knowing I will see at least one spectacular thing I had never seen or may never seen again.

Mind you, I'm 41 and have been going to Hershey since I was 9. I love it and look forward to it each year. I've always said the worst day at Hershey always beats the best day at work.

I love taking in the sights and sounds of it. Hearing some of these old jems run is like music to my ears. Every year I chuckle seeing the guy who displays the old wheel with the tree grown into it. Walking around the car corral, I'm like a kid in a candy store making a mental "wish list" of cars I'd buy if I hit the lottery.

I too enjoy the "Hershey folk". Sometimes the sale of part turns into a really cool friendship with a like-minded person.

I too get frustrated with the changes I've noticed over the years. It takes a few months to forget about them and get jazzed up for next Oct.

With all of this in mind, approx. 5 years ago I asked around in hopes to search out and speak to one of the top guys in the Hershey branch on the AACA. Knowing a little about how to deal with the public, I did this on my first day there so I was still clean shaven and presentable.

I spoke in a non-confrontational way and really tried to impress upon the guy that it is folks like me who are the future of Hershey.

I first thanked him for his club's hard work in putting on this show year after year. I gave him a little history of long I've been coming. I believe I was also carrying around an flathead 2X2 intake set-up I just bought I my way to find the guy.

When I found him (I don't recall his name), I asked him the following questions:

1) Why is so hard to get a spot when there are so many open spaces?
2) Can't you put some type of rule in place that if you miss three years in a row, you lose your spot so others, who have parts to sell, can offer these at the swap meet?
3) Has there been any discussions on how to keep this great thing going since a lot of the guys that started it are getting older?

The guy couldn't have been more bothered by me and gave me a line of B.S. about this or that.
Maybe my timing was off and the show was occupying his thoughts. Granted, I'll give you that, but I wanted to do this in person and not over the phone.

He then inquired if I was a member of the Early V8 Club, said yep. Showed him my card. He backed off a little, but basically gave me the line how dare I question the Great Oz and this thing is going to last forever.

Shook his hand, thanked him for his time and walked away. Inside I was a little bent by his attitude and realized he is wrong and being very short sighted.

Fast forward to this year, even more empty spaces and even less parts around. One of the fields had an entire row open.

Folks, if anyone from the Hershey Region AACA is reading this thread, please implement some changes before the great institution of Hershey is lost to future car people interested in the hobby.

Sadly, the future is not with the long standing, older members of your club. It is with the younger guys and gals looking to get into their first Model A or early V8; regardless if it is a stocker or a hot rod. The end goal is the same: we all love old cars.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 10-23-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote