View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #44
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Interesting observation with a 59L block- Still pretty thick @ 3 3/8ths bore

Block going to machine shop with torque plate to check if .010+ Sunnen hone will clean it up. I’ll report back once we hear the verdict.

Please understand the sole intent of starting this thread was to provide some education on what these old blocks of capable of.

Many claim you can’t go out to 3 3/8ths on these engines. This block proved to be plenty thick enough to disprove that statement.

Many claim, they'll over heat at that size. I'm certain this motor will also disprove that belief.

I think the take away from all this is many have their own way of rebuilding these motors.

Some are tried and true and some are "cutting edge" per say. In the end, we all make our choices and wind up using whatever methods works best for us.

That said, I feel fortunate that Ronnie took on this project. For those you who haven't been in his shop, once step in you immediately realize you are in a place of someone who lives and breaths flatheads.

I won't give away his "trade secrets", but seeing the 5 main (yes, FIVE main) bearing set up he made for one of his Ardun race motors, I immediately knew I found the right man for the job.

As a wise man once did say, "Keep 'um runnin'!"

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 04-11-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote