Thread: rear main seal
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: rear main seal

When I was restoring my car in 1970 I bought a rubber seal, never used it --and I am glad I didn't --I recently found it ---and dropped it, it shattered into many pieces --IF I had used it my rear main would be leaking now, and I would be stuck with a cut off slinger.

My stock system is fine, just a drop occasionally.

If the slinger is machined off on a different center than the mains it will leak.

If the surface of the cap was filed unevenly and doesn't fit the surface of the block --it will leak(so will the stock system)

If the oil drain passage is clogged with debris you will have a leak (so will the stock system)

If the oil well is cut to the thrust surface too much oil will splash on the seal area --causing leaks.

Baisically if the job is done properly and attention paid to the details a seal will work --but so will the stock system -- 20 years from now will you be able to get a replacement seal if you need it ???--one made to match the modifications made to the crank and block

Most modern cars will start to have some leakage from their seals after 10-20 years --

-the rope seal in the front, and the slinger in the rear on the A will seep some oil from new, but age doesn't seem to bother them like can happen with rubber seals.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote