View Single Post
Old 01-29-2021, 02:13 PM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Can I Modify This Generator Mounting Bracket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low-Blow View Post
As far as crankcase ventilation, I have a PCV valve on the intake.
Low-Blow ....Your engine package certainly has a lot of 'eye appeal'....very NICE looking! In looking at your PCV set-up, am I correct in assuming that that is your PCV valve I see captured in the black grommet just in front of the fuel pump stand? If so, I would have concern that you won't see any effective cross-ventilation of the crankcase. In your particular case, it appears that fresh air would be available via the (vented) oil-fill cap. If that is how you actually DO have it plumbed, I believe fresh air will only be drawn-in via the direct manifold vacuum from the plenum under the carburetors. Rather than being drawn through what one could effectively call the ENTIRE crankcase, the fresh air would more than likely make a quick U-turn, to be essentially drawn straight into the vacuum plenum. IF that is the way your plumbing is actually set-up, your crankcase would likely vent any internal pressure build-up (which is GOOD), but the majority of the TOTAL volume of crankcase moisture and other impurities that a PCV valve is designed to do away with will be allowed to remain as a result of the lack of "cross-crankcase" air flow.

8BA-type engines were originally plumbed to encourage fresh air entry to flow across the upper valve chamber, and down through oil drain and breathing orifices into the lower oil pan area. That air was then drawn back up a vertical tube located in the front of the valve chamber, and eventually directed out the road draft tube, effectively routing the air flow THROUGHOUT the entire crankcase like the drawing shows below. Hoping this may help in some way! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote