View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 10:49 AM   #185
davids2toys

Default Re: 36 Ford drag link orientation question

Hi Glenn,
Excellent post, thank you. I know you are right about just changing the pan to do this whole thing right. I read all the links you provided. They were great but I am still amazed at some guys when they oversimplify jobs and only give you half the details making the job seem so easy. In my car it will be a little more difficult because it is a later model Merc engine. I think it is physically bigger also. Even getting an engine gasket set will be a bit of an issue because I do not know exactly what the engine is, all I know is it is a 49-53 Merc flathead. There are no numbers where I have read where they are supposed to be, next to the intake on the pass side.
I think I will do this job as you and other have suggested. I do have a lift, but it is presently being occupied by my non-running Cobra. I think I will finish bending the 37 Pitman arm just get the 36 running back to drivable/ movable condition. Then I will work on the Cobra and get it back to running/ condition so I can move it to my house garage and move the 36 out to my detached garage with the lift. I have already purchased a '49-early '51 Mercury oil pan off eBay a while back. I still need to acquire the correct pump, pick-up, screen, dipstick, rear bracket from oil pan to bell housing, and the correct gasket set for this engine and different oil pan. I will probably wait to purchase the gasket set until I get the pan removed to see what type of seals I require.
davids2toys is offline   Reply With Quote