View Single Post
Old 05-18-2022, 07:24 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Installing a T85 R11 OD into a 1955 Ford Club Sedan - what do I need?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic55 View Post

HRR, On my 55 Crown it started life as an automatic with 272. I swapped in a 292 3 speed from a 56. Later put in a T86-R10 OD. Same rear crossmember. Now going to a T85-R11 same as you. Tape measure says that the crossmember will work, extra length all seems to be in the tailshaft. My T85 came out of a 57 Ford. I also got the driveshaft which will work for length.

My problem now is the rear u-joint won't match up to the dana rear end in the car. Looking for a 9 inch to solve this problem or a u-joint with two sizes of journals.

I think Dobie is right on Ford frugality.

You will also need a 1957 and up speedometer cable since the t86 is driven off the bottom of the output shaft and the t85 off of the top.
Read this regarding the two-size U-JOINT -

- https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p46..._series_g.html

Fitment of the swapped trans is going to depends on exact type (259-T86-T85) and whether direct or OD (differing tail-shaft lengths and driveshaft length).

I think most of what you read regarding these swaps is ignoring the trans type, model year and focusing on modifying the trans mount.

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote