View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 11:03 PM   #19
Digger

Default Re: Buying a car out of Canada

So circling back on my OP. Bought the 1935 Roadster out of BC Canada, not too many of these beauties around anymore. and it still has not crossed the border, but hopefully will in a day or two....photo of seller saying his goodbyes...

So I hired TFX, they were great, and best of all had a patient seller who was a car guy.

Some of the delays were:

* first of all don’t pay for the car until the seller applies for and gets a document giving him permission to sell the Canadian VIN car to go out of the country. This took two weeks, and I canceled my wire payment until proof of the document
* if the seller is giving you extra parts and stuff, he has to fill out a form listing every item, it’s country of origin, description and value
* I had to send a copy of my driver’s license and passport to TFX
* then 3 times I tried to send the wire to the seller, looking back, I think he just had incorrect info about the routing number and account number. This took at least two weeks of time. It never went through. So
* overnighted a Wells Fargo Cashiers Check, and the Royal (pain) Bank of Canada put a 15 BUSINESS DAY hold on the funds.
* TFX only takes wire payment, so that took about 4 days
* then had to wait till they could schedule a pick up, and they picked it up yesterday, then I jumped out of my seat when Trump said he was closing the border, but turns out it did not effect commercial trade.

So fees to go from Kelowna BC to Monterey, CA was $4,004 US dollars. This was for duty, brokerage and transport. And then when it gets here, have all the California DMV fees to get title in my name. Several more bucks... but... look at the car, it’s awesome. Never any rust, beautiful color, drives like a champ, no better way to spend money in my opinion.

It has been a process, but can’t wait to get her home and go for a long drive. (Please don’t reply with a shortcut or advice, don’t need any, I have a full time job and not able to do a car adventure to fly or drive anywhere to see and buy a car)

The adventure continues...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 76DD1125-FF32-4C57-B786-FE069E478920.jpeg (77.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpeg 803456CD-038E-4639-BF81-F4242A7354BC.jpeg (96.1 KB, 91 views)
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote