View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 07:46 PM   #29
Joe K

Default Re: Engine Won't Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
Is this frame a 31? Your rear mounts appear to be correct looking at the first picture. If memory serves me correct, there were small tube spacers in the 3 holes either between the engine mount and frame or on the outside of the frame between the plate and frame with the rubber pad between. The only other thing could be the rivet holes were different on your crossmembers.
I have seen in the Parts Price List the spacers (A5093) and their application years (1928-31)

But I can't see anything in my literature about installing these, or what the purpose is. Rick Freeman (1970s guide) and Les Andrews (2000s guide) say nothing about assembling these.

Well, actually I think I know the purpose: to prevent the three bracket to frame bolts from "crushing" the rubber and making what should be a resilient mount into a solid mount? Thus the rear engine mount brackets become more a part of the motor than a part of the frame (and kind of hints at the fallacy of "float-a-motor" which tend to transfer motor torque loading to the frame center cross member.)

Does anyone have experience or documentation for these? My frame was "reconditioned" with Naval Jelly and a paintbrush and without removing the engine supports.

Joe K