View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 11:06 PM   #17
RawhideKid
BANNED

Default Re: Help needed with cb install.

*rolls eyes* Ok folk, let me explain what is going to happen when the CB positive wire is connected to this device and the antenna is attached to the bumper bracket or something similar.

The first thing you will see when plugging in the antenna is a spark when the sleeve is slid up to start the thread. This spark is not good as it will probably blow the 3 amp fuse inline with the inverter. If a larger fuse is used, depending on how large, it too will blow, or should blow. If this fuse does not blow, we are still not out of the woods because something else that is electrically smaller than the fuse will start to heat up, or just start to smoke, and once you let the smoke out.....well, you know, you can't put it back

Now, most likely the smoke will come out of the CB, at which time you will have toasted one or all of the chassis to black wire connections.

Not to disparage the item purchased at the swap meet, but it may switch polarity and increase from 6v to 12v, but it doesn't change the nature of the CB. After years of repairing and installing CBs in everything from boats, motorcycles, trucks and off road team vehicles, I have seen my share of blown up CBs. The box may increase the voltage to run the CB, and most likely will stand the draw with a 3amp fuse, it will not isolate the antenna, and when you do isolate the antenna, you loose the purpose of the antenna as the CB needs a ground plain to function. Now, IF you insist on installing the CB, there are a couple things you can do to make it work, decent.

Install a separate 12v battery, any type you wish with at least a 5amp discharge rate, I recommend a motorcycle battery and hook the CB directly to that, and don't hook anything else to either terminal on that battery and install the CB as normal, Red to positive, Black to negative. Charge battery before using CB.

Another way to go is IF you have the headliner down, hook the center of the coax for the antenna to the chicken wire in the roof, providing you do not hook the shield to the car metal, the adapter should work. The CB MUST also be isolated from the car chassis. This will not be ideal, but it will function for basic short distance communication. Something else you might need is a SWR adapter to tune the chicken wire antenna as to not harm the output of the CB. Available at any HAM radio or CB store.

Just be damn sure that NOTHING of the CB is touching or attached to your car chassis.