View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
Terry,NJ

Default Here we go again! Maybe! Oil

Most of you know I'm still kind of new to Mod A.s. And, I like alternative stuff that might be an upgrade, without changing the basic cars. I'm a firm believer that there are better lubricants around today than in 1930 and I won't hesitate to use them. That being said, today I changed/replaced some of the oil in my transmission with Lucas Hub Oil. I drained about half of what I had put in the when I changed the bearings. STP and Lucas Oil Stabiliser.
The car was quieter (seemed smoother) the trans whined a lot less. Shifting was better, less grinding of gears. Generally better performance. Right now, about 7-8 miles later, I'm happy! Ask me again this winter, I may hate it then.
Another issue was put to bed! (At least for me) I did an old test where I put some of the old oil (STP and L.O.S. on the flats (Tapered) of a screwdriver and tried to grip it. It slipped away each time. When I tried it on the round shank of the screwdriver, I could hold it. So the STP and the Lucas product are at least, lubricants! Maybe not oils as we know them, but they have lubricating abilities .
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote