View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #17
Joe K

Default Re: Batteries...batteries...batteries

Quote:
Have you heard the ole wives tale (should be called ole mechanics tale since I don't think wives ever did this) of setting a battery on a block of wood so it wont go dead. LOL
The old wives tale had some basis in fact when battery cases were bakelite - and tar tops. Slightly porous, the bakelite formed an ideal path for stray current when only slighty salted - and the tar tops with exposed bars only helped along.

And setting such a battery on a moisture laden concrete floor (ALL concrete connected to the ground contains moisture) only increased the current leakage.

Not to mention kept the battery cold when down near the floor - which as some have noted decreases the tendency to self discharge INTERNALLY - but worse decreases the available energy - at freezing about half the ampere-hour available as at 70F.

Today with heated garages and plastic cases not so much. Well, the floor is still a bit cold - which is why I usually keep the spare battery in the shop where the heat can be (not always - that thing called wood supply.)

Tom, I should shop your used battery store...

Joe K