View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
alt63bird

Default Re: What Did I Do to Kill My '55 (And What's The Fix?)

Thanks for the responses. Wiring loom was custom-made from scratch by a street rodding buddy when we were in college in the early '80s - I don't remember if we put a fusible link or in-line fuse in between the solenoid and the ignition switch (I don't think we did). Adding one now seems like a good idea. Checking the heavy-gauge wire from the solenoid to the ignition switch and to the light switch will be the first things I'll need to check after going through the grounds. When we rewired the car we abandoned the 8 ga wire in place and ran a new 10 ga wire from the solenoid to the ignition switch; we also abandoned in place the voltage regulator wiring and ran new wiring to the alternator VR which we located under the heater blower bracket. Last year I had to change out the starter solenoid, and the ignition switch was changed out 4 years ago.

As for grounding, right now I have the negative battery cable going to the front of the passenger side exhaust manifold (not a good idea, I know). I don't believe I have a ground from engine to body or from engine to frame, and since I haven't had issues before, why bother?

Quality time with a test light, jumper wires and multimeter are in store for me this coming Sunday.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote