View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #1
kawagumby

Default Help with an engine noise...

Hi all,
I recently acquired a 1931 Model A roadster deluxe that has had a frame-up restoration a few decades ago. The odometer reads about 2500 miles which seems about right based on the car's condition.
There is a subtle knock that occurs sometimes during cruising between acceleration and deceleration, but is very obvious when coming to a stop with the clutch in. The knock (rap) is tied to engine RPMs and does not sound like any kind of drive train noise. I'm familiar with piston slap and piston pin noises, and that's not it. It definitely gains noise during braking with the clutch in.

When I first heard it, the thought that crossed my mind it was a camshaft with too much end play, but reading about the noise model A camshafts make, this seems like a long shot. There is no noise a idle, no noise when the car is stopped and I rev up the engine...so that makes me wonder if something other than a camshaft or too much rod clearance is in play. There is no knock when I start the cold engine. If it is a rod issue, shouldn't I be able to hear it when I rev the engine?

I read somewhere that the '31's have a different oil pan baffle setup...can that be a factor?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tom
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote