View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Fuel boiling at fuel pump

Seth, I have the same issue on my 35 fordor when ambient temperature is in the 90-100° range, and my car stops moving. I'm using a '47-'48 glass bowl fuel pump, and the glass bowl is located very close to the left side head and intake deck. This area seems to be out of the normal airflow, and more prone to being in a heat pocket. At times I can see the alcohol boiling/bubbling inside the glass bowl. This causes a pressure buildup in the gas line, most likely both to and from the fuel pump, which stops the gas flow. I can overcome this quickly by placing a rag soaked in ice water directly on top of the fuel pump and the gas lines coming into and out of the fuel pump. 2-3 minutes of this and the engine will restart and I'm on my way. One thought I had to overcome this problem would be to make a 1" aluminum spacer, that would locate between the pump and intake manifold, and change to the longer FP rod. This would bring the fuel pump bowl 1" higher from the heated engine, and possibly more inline with the air flow. In addition, maybe add a heat shield between the bowl and engine, or come up with some method to direct cooler air on the fuel pump and glass bowl. Some of these ideas came from G.M./George Mitchell's experimentation and testing done several years ago.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote