Thread: Bronze Guides
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
GOSFAST

Default Re: Bronze Guides

I need very accurate feedback from mostly the builders' up here, Ol'Ron, etc. about a very specific dimension concerning the valve guides themselves.

This tool WILL end working nicely, BUT, these (used) guides are all over the place size-wise. What I discovered working on this so far is critical to be able to "clamp" these used guides tightly in the tool, as far as any builds go this difference would have no effect at the end on the build in the larger picture!

Also, the issue doesn't affect the setup when we do them in the single-guide fixture. The size variation's will NOT allow the "new" tool to work as it is now. (I still see a reasonably easy fix though)

Here's the problem: the dimension between the upper "groove" where the horseshoe clip (guide-retainer) is located and the spring seat register is "all-over-the-place" from guide to guide? It may be an actual "production batch-to-production batch" one from the beginning? but I'll never know that answer. I have a "ton" of new guides here that are ALL identical and clamp nicely in the fixture but this measurement difference is prevalent on ALL the used ones I have, basically these would be the same type customers will be sending in to line. This would need to be addressed first.

I am reading up to .010" spread between guides, these MUST all be closer, maybe a couple "thou", for me to go forward. If you have numbers simply post them back here. They will probably be something akin to .125" nominally.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. This difference also affects (to a degree) the shims needed to equalize the spring pressures. At a minimum the guides would be symmetrical. The height of the valves in the block would still be an issue with the number of necessary shims used but irrelevant to the guides at this point. Please don't see this as an opportunity to for us to sell new guides, I won't even go down that road. I can fix all the used ones with about 15/20 minutes on the lathe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Valve Guide-Spring Register Mod.jpg (76.8 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by GOSFAST; 06-21-2016 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Add photo
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote