View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 12:12 AM   #16
lurk

Default Re: ‘39 Merc All Terrain Vehicle???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Also consider milling the heads to get the proper "quench", or "squish" dimension (head to piston clearance) as well as more compression. This will pep the old girl up noticeably.
Thanks for the input!

..and for the "take it easy, don't kill it crowd..."

I totally understand the sentiment that we should "drive carefully and enjoy.." these cars. There is certainly merit to that approach, but my brain rejects it as somehow demeaning to the engineering and strength designed into these vehicles.

I've had restored cars that are too nice to park in parking lots. I've had old cars that I updated with new technology like disc brakes and small blocks and I've had old cars with tired running gear that I was afraid to take certain places for fear of something breaking.

The point? I'm currently interested in old technology that performs at least as good as it did when new. These machines did great things in adverse situations back when they were new. There is no reason they can't accomplish the same tough tasks today.

Besides, if a trip to the hardware store is fun in an old car, imagine how fun a trip to an abandoned silver mine 25 miles up a shitty road would be!
lurk is offline   Reply With Quote