Thread: 12 volt?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2020, 05:14 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: 12 volt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R. View Post
I am new to model A’s. Just wondering, I see a lot of guys convert to 12 volt and was wondering why? Other than powering modern accessories I couldn’t come up with a good reason in my head. Seems like a lot of trouble to fix something that isn’t broke, especially with the good availability of replacement parts for original 6 volt electrical system.
I am going to add to what Jim said. If we go back 40 years ago, Model-A generators did not have the quality of replacement parts as we do now. Additionally back then, the cut-outs were not solid state and we constantly had to adjust the charge rate to suit the driving we were doing. Additionally, many of the armatures were junk as they were coming from JC Whitney and like stores and most made in Argentina. Then, wiring on many of the 'restored' cars were not in the best of conditions, -and aftermarket headlight reflectors were junk with incorrect shape and a poor reflective coating.

Someone thought it was cool to mount a Delcotron 10si alternator on their Model-A and add 12v electricals including bulbs, and they would brag about how they had a reliable set-up with brighter lights and never having to set the amperage or worry with stuck cut-outs which ran the battery down. To the unknowing, this all seemed believable. Forty years later, old habits die hard even though facts pretty much counter what was originally touted as the reason to change to 12v.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote