Thread: Rear Spring
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #16
Tom Endy

Default Re: Rear Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Pereira View Post
That poor excuse for a spring has worked just fine on four model A springs and several jeeps . I would love a proper spreader but was hoping this was the last time it would be needed .

My apologies for being so flippant with my response, I should have chosen my words better.

The point I was trying to make is that the type of spring spreader you were using is extremely dangerous. No matter how many chains are wrapped around the spring, or how many times you used it, if the pipe end of the spreader should slip off the banjo bolt head it will launch like a cross-bow.

Many people in the Model A hobby do not realize the danger posed by a rear spring under tension.

There are two areas of rear axle assembly removal that should be considered. The first is use of an improper spring spreader that can launch. The second is removing a rear axle assembly from a car with the spring still attached. Once it is unbolted from the frame, that is safely capturing the spring, and brought out from under the car, all that tension is then being held by only a 3\8" diameter center bolt. If the head should pop off the bolt the spring leaves will fly 20 feet in the air and take your head with it if you happen to be standing over it. Then you have to consider that they are all going to come back down.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote