View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 04:37 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: convert to LED headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
Due to design constraints it will be impossible to get proper focus with existing led systems in original reflector---- you will get a lot of bright light all around like a flood light, but you want a beam projected down the road like a spot light to see in the distance
Kurt, you are talking two different things. I can tell you from first-hand experience that there is no need to focus. With one incandescent filament, there is a need to position (focus) the single filament wire in the parabolic shape of the reflector to project the light beam as far as possible. In an LED bulb, there are multiple light sources emitting light at a much higher intensity than the incandescent bulb. Therefore you get more lumen output with the LED over the incandescent bulb, you get a further beam travel with the LED bulb, and you have less electrical draw with the LED.

I will tell you straight-up that I had 50-50 candlepower bulbs mounted in Bratton's reflectors, and focused just like in the Service Bulletins. A year or so ago I switched over to the good quality LED direct replacement bulbs, and I have more light in front of the vehicle, I can see further down the road, and my generator has no trouble keeping up. I did re-aim my headlights downward just a tad, not because I was blinding people, but because I wanted a heavier concentration of light to see 25-50 foot in front of the bumper. And, ....to your point, Yes I have lost my ability to focus the LED bulb however I have no reason to want to focus this bulb. Its kinda like saying if you put one of those toolboxes in front of the radiator, you won't be able to hand crank start the engine. My attitude is ... 'So!' simply because I don't need to hand crank my Model-A.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote