View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 12:05 AM   #13
pat in Santa Cruz

Default Re: Barn fresh AA farm truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramc1 View Post
How can you tell a '31 vs '30 gas tank? Is the fuel filler spout different or the shape of the tank itself different? I have several '30 and '31 cowls and never noticed any difference in the tanks except for my indented Murray cowl. On this truck the firewall is not indented and the roof is not all steel so I know it's not late '31. Also the cowl band seems to be painted, not stainless. Is the difference in the wheels how much hub lip there is?
pre 31 gas tanks had the steering column clamp soldered and riveted to the tank. 31 columns are suspended from the dash rail and the tanks have no clamp. Commercial cowl bands are painted, not stainless as are the radiator shells with rare exception. 30 wheels have no re- enforced center. I have a Jan 31 AA. It has a Sept '30 engine number matching the frame number, and '30 wheels, but the 157" parallel frame was released in Jan 31. Take off the wheels and you will find a date of manufacture stamped on the inside hub area. Often the 31 wheels were added later on duals to accommodate larger tires, and as replacements because the 30 style cracked at the hub. Wheels were also all mixed up over the years, so they cannot be used to determine the date of manufacture of the truck. Your splash aprons have welting between the nose and fender, so its a 31 fender. 30's had the nose spot welded to the fender. If you remove the cab when restoring it, you will find the number stamped into the frame below the cowl. That number can be referenced in the Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards, for date of manufacture.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote