Thread: Headlight
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2021, 02:04 PM   #14
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Headlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Very sorry for my previous title HR I Always admired the knowledge on this site and Love Hot Rod America the ingenuity and the industry resulting from it. The Ford is a 1948 Deluxe Coupe. Thank You

Dennis .....Don't sweat the "rod" reference. Several of us here could be called "Traditional HOT RODders". Just don't mention "Street Rodders" hereabouts!

OK, there probably ain't nothin wrong with your light switch. Mac VanPelt has been kind enough to allow us to reference the drawings on his fabulous site. Lots of folks could figure-out some of these problems if they could read & understand an electrical schematic. Below is a drawing of the circuits and electrical
components in your 1948 Ford. THE PRINT & WORDING MAY BE EASIER TO READ IF YOU CLICK ON THIS LINK BELOW.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...1946-48car.jpg

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1632070934

I ain't too smart, but the way I see this drawing, the light switch has TWO feeds powering the LIGHT switch. One feed sends power to the switch when you have pulled the knob out to the FIRST detent. By doing that, power is sent ONLY to your PARKING lights, and to the tiny light in your IGNITION SWITCH (so ya can find the hole on a dark night). At this point, I have to ask you if you are SURE that ALL OF YOUR INSTRUMENT LIGHTS are on when the PARK LIGHTS are on? There is nothing in the drawing indicating (to ME) that INSTRUMENT LIGHTS, other than the ignition switch, would be illuminated with the parking lights illuminated.

So, when you pull the light switch KNOB out to the second position to turn your head lights on, that FIRST POWER FEED no longer powers the parking lights, nor your ignition switch light. The schematic shows that the light switch now sends power to your lighting RHEOSTAT, which should power your instrument lights ....IF the rheostat is partially or fully rotated to the right.

FIRST of all, verify whether or not you DO, IN FACT, have instrument lighting with park lights on.

SECONDLY, rotate rheostat to right with headlights on. If rheostat works, you should now have dash lights with headlights. That RHEOSTAT switch should look something like this image below. Rheostat should be located on bottom lip of dash.

Please let us know your results. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote