View Single Post
Old 05-29-2022, 04:47 PM   #30
5851a

Default Re: Brakes - Wives Tales & Misconceptions

Brakes are very complicated. The original engineers took into account weight or load of vehicle at the time of manufacture. They would vary brake shoe width, drum size, wheel and master cylinder size. They would alter suspension mounting points to reduce nose dive on panic stops. I can't out think an entire branch of Dearborn so I just stick with what Ford said was good for me at the time. I once owned a 64 Thunderbird with all drum brakes only modification was radial tires. It stopped good, not on a dime but enough to leave a goose egg on your forehead. I also still own a 78 5.0 Fairmont. I swapped in a rear end from a new 82 Mustang, the rear brakes would lock at slightest touch. All the brake parts were the same, except the wheel cylinders were 1/32? smaller on the Mustang rear. Installed new Fairmont cylinders and back to normal. That 1 tiny change made a world of difference. I understand dual circuit brakes but don't think they are going to save you. Maintenance and driver awareness will. Just my take on it. My wife of 30+ years knows couple of jobs I will not do for friends or family, 1 is brakes and other is automatic transmissions. FI cars is a close 3rd.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote