View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 03:23 PM   #21
F-ONE

Default Re: Introduction, Hello my '51 Club Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
That’s interesting!.....I’ve never heard/read that.....I’ve always believed the Mercury’s were supposed to be a bigger, fancier “upscale” car than the Fords.
I’ve wanted a ‘49 Coupe so I could have one from each year and one from three of the body styles but I’ve read a lot about the ‘49’s rush to production issues.I’m looking forward to reading more of your posts and seeing you enjoying your car!.....Mark
I've got to post this movie clip. This is what started my love affair with these cars. That and tales of Mr. Layfields 3 49-51 Fords that my grandfather worked on in the late 50s.

Mr. Layfields cars were black and brush scratched. All three had hot 3x2 V8s under the hood, overdrive with Victoria (automatic) rear ends. My daddy said that when they were right, In second overdrive they'd go past 90, in high they'd pass a mile post every 66 seconds. My grandfather had a mechanic shop and those were hard times. Mr. Layfield always paid in cash and my Grandfather kept his mouth shut.
All three were tankers or "Blockcaders".

My brother and I wore out a VHS tape. We slowed it down, he does complete the "bootlegger roll".
This is Lucas Doolin's (Robert Mitchum) 1951 Sedan with a '49 hood and '50 Grille.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJbGUL-UfzA
F-ONE is offline   Reply With Quote