View Single Post
Old 01-09-2024, 04:05 PM   #33
JayJay

Default Re: Prices going through the roof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
How about a set of rebuilt OEM matching hydraulic shocks?
I guess price is the reason I am not seeing interest in buying mine.
Few have the need I am guessing. Mine are equivalent to several different sets of the late Robert Paul, IMHO that I have. I have been inside one of his that leaked. Have a second one coming.
Bob - I think the latter reason (need) is more likely. Compared to the "good old days" of the 60's and '70's, I think today there are just not that many cars being restored, at least for the first time. Back then, when you and I got started, I think probably about half the club members were actively restoring cars. Now, not so much. For example, in my current club, we have over 100 members on the roster, with probably half quite active, but there are at most a half dozen cars under restoration. The rest have already been restored, and their owners are now basking in their efforts of 40-50 years ago. I think that you've also seen the aging of the hobby as well, there are just not that many young folks (and by young I'm thinking less than say 50 years old) entering it and starting a restoration today as there were back then.

But there will always be a perhaps low but nevertheless steady need for folks who rebuild original parts. I can think of garage-based vendors for brakes, speedometers and generators who continue to provide these services, and no reason shock absorbers can't be there too.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote