View Single Post
Old 11-02-2020, 05:39 PM   #9
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: Piston to Head Clearance Input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyjonez View Post
Thanks Ronnie:

Stock size valves- 1007b camshaft. Looking to run two 48’s. Just looking for a zippy street motor. In terms of compression, I guess I should be asking- with a stock deck and a given gasket, what should my compression be with those pistons and heads?? (Shouldn’t HnH be able to tell me)? I would think the radius should be consistent over the dome as commented above. Do I have a bum set of heads??

Thanks Again
Your welcome
There's really no way for the radius of the dome to be identical to the top of the piston unless both parts were made by the same company that way they would actually match. Back when Barney Navarro was making the heads he no doubt had the dome matching similar to what ever piston was popular at the time. It may have been the shape of the stock Ford piston or at the time the popular Jahns pistons. Heck when i made my doming tool back in the last century we used the Jahns piston dome as our model that was way before Ross pistons. The fact the radius is not consistent will not effect how well your engine will run its certainly something interesting you discovered but really nothing to worry about. The one area I pay very close attention to on original older heads and todays new production heads is the water hole locations in relationship to the brand of head gaskets being used. That by far is extremely important.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote