View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Rear hub repair kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
Sounds like everyone on this thread are talking apples and oranges.

1) The kit to repair the worn race in rear hub is listed in Brattons Catalog as part # 1820

2) The race sleeve sold to repair the worn axle housing (trumpet) is part #1840 and requires disassembly of the differential housing so the worn race can be turned down to allow the new race to be pressed on.

No, I'm pretty sure everyone here is mentioning 'hub'. Mike, the issue that I have found is that during the lifespan of the hub, probably due to poor, --or no grease for the bearing, it begins to wear the race in the hub. For whatever reason, it does not wear uniformly but instead creates a taper (...or maybe another term would be draft) in the race surface of the hub. Yes, a sleeve can be pressed in however there really is not anything to support the sleeve in the tapered area. The sleeve retaining compound cannot support the sleeve either, so over time, the weight and thrusting loads of corners will expand the sleeve until it rests on the hub that is tapered. Realistically at that point you are back to the original problem, and my thought is why bother? I was hoping Tom had a better (i.e.: quicker) way he could share with us on how he fixtures the hub in a lathe where the tapered race wear could be machined out with a boring bar prior to installing a sleeve. As I mentioned above, indicating it in on a mill sucks!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote