Thread: Slow starter
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2024, 05:15 PM   #14
Synchro909

Default Re: Slow starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
The inevitable is a change to a 12V electrical system with an alternator. I think that the manufacture of 6V batteries is going into history. Also in my opinion, every Model "A" should have an auxiliary ground cable.
For the record, having run 12V in both my Model A's for many many years & miles, the stock starter motors work extraordinarily well, and I see no ill effects to the flywheel ring gears. However, the stock Bendix Starter Drive is junk, so I converted both starters to modern starter drives that are made in the USA.
Bob, I whole heartedly disagree with that. I have seen too many of the modern style Bendixes thrown as far as the owner can throw them. I have done the same. Far and away, I prefer an original style Bendix on a starter converted to 12 volts.
I have also seen too many unmodified starters with bent shafts, even the 5/8" shafts bent like bananas by running them on 12v without modifying them.
BTW, Henry found that the 1/2" shafts were not up to the job so he changed to 5/8". That strengthened the shaft by a little over 50%. Putting 12 volts through an unmodified starter theoretically increases the power it generates by 400% - way more than it is reasonable to expect the starter to withstand for long.