View Single Post
Old 10-05-2016, 07:04 PM   #12
Benson

Default Re: chirp, chirp, chirp

I have heard a similar noise, first time was more than 45 years ago ... took a lot of trial and error to find it.

Sounds like a "chirp ... chirp "OR a metallic "Ching ... Ching" comes and goes.

If it goes away while troubleshooting ... stop engine and restart ...

1. Does it make the noise more often with the car pointing UP hill?

Engine idling while troubleshooting of course.

2. If so try jacking up REAR of car ... Should have less noise or it goes away.

3. When I have found this problem it was the Bendix gear on the starter hitting the teeth on the flywheel gear.

From OLD Ford Barn

Re: chirping throw out bearing? sound like a bendix problem.

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Fordbarn Model A Discussion Forum]

Posted by Benson from h-68-164-105-249.dnvtco56.dynamic.covad.net (68.164.105.249) on Monday, June 01, 2009 at 8:35AM :
In Reply to: chirping throwout bearing? posted by modeleh/bc from ? (99.199.129.156) on Monday, June 01, 2009 at 0:09AM :

Sounds to me like it might be the Starter bendix gear hitting the flywheel.

If you have another starter the easiest way is to swap them.

There is a small spring loaded plunger (on the gear near the counter weighted part of the sliding gear) which is supposed to drop into another groove when gear is totally retracted. This holds the gear away from the flywheel while engine is running.

This plunger is INSIDE the bore of the moving gear that retracts when starter stops. The plunger rubs on the high part of the spiral on the matching grooves.

This plunger and spring is perpendicular to the starter shaft and about 1/16 diameter and 5/16ths inch long.

Many times the spring is broken or the plunger is rusted and stuck.

Benson

I used to have a photo of this but it got lost somehow.

Note: New design uses the black spring (at bottom of shaft) in this Bratton photo if spring breaks it will do same thing ...

https://www.brattons.com/stock-bendi...ter-drive.html

Last edited by Benson; 10-05-2016 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Several changes made since original posting
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote