View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 02:04 AM   #98
montanafordman

Default Re: Just wondering : what's your year of birth ?

Since I'm procrastinating on other things I should be doing - I put the first 90 valid responses into a spreadsheet to crunch the numbers.

The average birth year is 1952.

The median birth year is 1949.

In all honesty I almost expected it to be older. (based on my perceived makeup of my local Model A club.) The folks my parents age (mid 60s) are almost on the younger end of the spectrum.

Of course there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

You could speculate on folks in their 50's and 60's being more computer savy than those who are older (as a generalization) and thus have a larger presence on this forum. People in their 60's were in their 30s and very much a part of the business world when the personal computer went mainstream. (early IBM compatible, the Commodore 64, and Apple II come to mind) and have had more exposure to electric typewriters, keyboards and computers in their lifetime. Folks in their 60's are also closer to retirement and have disposable income for an extra car or hobby such as the model A.

People younger than their 60's do not have the disposable income, time, or space to support a car hobby like the model A which is my biggest guess as to the younger generations being underrepresented. Popular interests differ among age groups also. (such as generalizing millennials as being more interested in video gaming and digital social media than automobiles)

Baby boomers are next in line to inherit these cars from those that drove them when they were relatively new in their youth. (the greatest generation) and the numbers of the greatest generation are sadly dwindling faster every day.

Of course you can run around all day and infer things from these numbers and talk about the who and why of this hobby and how its going to change. That dead horse has been beat for a long time so I'll stop. Interesting though!

I'll end my run-on musings by commenting that its cool our hobby promotes communication and friendships that transcend age barriers, life circumstances, experiences and disposition.

Last edited by montanafordman; 01-26-2017 at 03:27 AM.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote