View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 09:09 PM   #12
Rob Doe

Default Re: Zenith Rebuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
Look in tom endy's restoration tips.
http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...etor-11-07.pdf
There were three different secondary wells, I believe, only the third style is available.
The well gets screwed in and typically several threads of the casting are exposed when it is properly installed.
However, the well can block the comp jet channel. I modify the well with a file to correct this problem.
I think Endy covers this.

Oh my Gosh, thank you, thank you, thank you. I have purchased and read other's bookes. I have read an abbreviated version of this and done all that was in it. The other day, I found that the cap jet was leaking at its base. I carefully tightened it and tested it on the bench as stated. But today, I gave it another digital exam and the d!@#$ thing was wet again. I'll order gaskets from Brattons. If I go tighter I might strip something. For a rookie, "How tight is tight?" is an important piece of knowledge.

The black gasket that was on my main jet was much thicker than the red ones. Won't this lower my main jet orifice????

The other fine-point piece of knowledge is the tiny hole in the intake at the bottom. I have not noticed this hole, but I have been a victim of exactly what Tom describes. But due to experience, I have not over tightened the drain plug!