View Single Post
Old 07-30-2021, 07:55 PM   #16
wnlewis

Default Re: Mechanic grade tires for my '51 Ford Tudoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
You have the original snow tires your dad put "on the Ford in the winter"? Sounds like there is a good family history with the car. That would make a difference to me.
The Ford was built in the Dallas, Texas, factory in 1951 (one year before I was born).

Grandfather Lewis bought the car in 1952, when it was one year old.

Dad got the car when Grandfather passed away in 1971.

I got the car when my mother passed away in 2007.

The block broke when Grandfather was driving it in downtown Oklahoma, City. Ford blocks and Mercury blocks were designed to the same blueprints.

However, the Mercury blocks were sourced from a different foundry and were thicker than the Ford blocks.

Also, the Mercury radiators were thicker than the Ford radiators.

Cracking of Ford blocks is common. Cracking of Mercury blocks is not so common.

Dad "rebuilt" the Ford. He discarded the Ford block to a salvage yard in favor of a Mercury block that was handy at the right price. The radiator did not get changed to a Mercury radiator.

The Mercury engine, the engine currently in the car, also cracked on a hot day.

Within 30 miles of where I live is an engine shop and a fellow who has a good reputation for welding cracked cast iron blocks.

That is an art. I have seen a true blacksmith weld the cracked exhaust headers on my 1973 Mk I 2600 Capri. The finished work is every bit as good as the metal on either side.

So, although the block in the Ford is not original, getting it welded, is what I plan to have done.

It will be less expensive than buying a new (used) block, and I have history with that Mercury block. Plus, by putting in a Mercury radiator, I should gain a "bullet proof" powerplant.

So, that is a bit about the car and me.

P.S. The old car is a survivor. Grandfather, Dad, my brother, and I took it out to El Paso to bring back the belongings of his brother.

Grandfather had had a heart attack, and the Ford had a cracked block. The temperatures were in the high 90's to upper 100's.

With a desert back strapped to the side of the car we made our way out and back, stopping every 50 miles to put water in the Ford and to let Grandfather rest.

Yes, I have history with the car.
wnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote