View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Transmission lineage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHASZARD View Post
The shaft arm it had seemed to be shorter than the one it came back with from the overhauler's shop. That one is 4 1/2 inches center to center.

First, the pedal mount has the number 91A-2467 stamped on it. I am unable to ascertain if this is correct for my truck. Would anyone know? This would be a place to start. I don't care if it is correct as long as it works.
Second, the clutch shaft arm on there now is from a 37 I believe the man said. Didn't get to talk to him before he had to take another call.
It would be nice if I could resolve some of this hobby stuff in a timely manner as I have some more pressing responsibilities and may not get back to this soon if ever.

JR.....Here's the "STRAIGHT" skinny on what ya got, and what ya NEED. That pedal mount number (91A-2467) IS correct. That "9" indicates "1939", the "1" indicates FORD (specifically), the "A" specifies "Passenger Car" application PRIMARILY....although in this case, 1/2-ton pick-up is identical. "2467" is Ford-talk for a brake/clutch pedal BRACKET. In the case of 1939 Fords, the bracket AND both pedals are a "ONE-YEAR-ONLY" assembly. So, what you have sounds correct. Below is a picture of a 1939 pedal set. Note that the oddball clutch actuating arm is actually to the right (as you view it from the driver seat) of the brake actuating mechanism...ONE-YEAR-ONLY pedal assembly!

You mention that you believe the clutch arm mounted on the transmission's throw-out shaft is of '37 vintage. (NOTE: I don't see an arm with a 4-1/2" c/l to c/l dimension in the pic below) BUT if so, a '37 lever arm (48-7511) will be of a STRAIGHT up and down (vertical) shape. It's actual center to center distance rise between holes is actually only 1/8" shorter than the 91A-7511 arm ("7511" is Ford-talk for a clutch shaft release arm), which you would likely never notice the difference in release ratio. BUT....if you notice below in the picture of the different Ford release arms, the "91A-" arm angles toward the driver side of the vehicle.....IMPORTANT detail.

The importance of that offset to the drivers' side will become evident in the next picture. The difference is because of the earlier models' ('35-'38) brake/clutch pedal set-up being entirely different (mechanical brakes) than the new for '39 hydraulic brake set-up. Things got moved-around a little. Note the LEFT OFFSET of the "91A-7511" arm in the next picture of a 1939 set-up. If you continued to use your current '37 arm (48-7511), the linkage ROD/clevis would not line-up properly in a straight line, and would likely bind, at best.

If you are not able to source a correct, used 91A-7511 arm from the likes of Mac VanPelt, 3rd Gen, etc., Drake shows a reproduction (and they DON'T appear to be BACK-ORDERED) of the 91A-7511 for $20 bucks....link and picture below!

https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.as...d-e04187ffc8f7

Hopefully, this info will help you to understand what you have, and what you need to make your '39 "RIGHT"! DD

………..

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote