Thread: towing 29 A
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #23
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: towing 29 A

We may be envisioning two different towing methods: one with a simple strap and one with a fixed tow bar. I realize that the OP was discussing towing with a rope and/or chain, but my comments were addressing the only kind of Model A towing I've ever been involved with, namely with a tow bar. No one could argue that such a towing method is safer than by a rope or chain. With a fixed tow bar, a "driver" in the towed vehicle is not needed and that's when problems with the front wheels not returning to center occur. If a car is pulled by a strap or chain, however, then a "driver" would be necessary to steer and use the brakes. I am still not sure how the law reads in this regard. The local police might be more understanding if the car is towed by a rope or chain for a few blocks just to get a disabled car out of traffic. But towing this way from one town to another might be pushing the tolerance of the law.
The OP estimates a distance of five miles towing with a rope and/or chain. One must take into consideration the types of roads and traffic he will encounter. All city streets? Country roads? A combination of both? Heavy or light traffic? Time of day? Weekday or weekend day? These are factors that could make his towing experience easy or a nightmare. Communication between the tow vehicle and the Model A being towed will be critical, especially when unanticipated stops arise. Cell phones in continual use between the two vehicles would almost be mandatory.
My comments about the front wheels' tendency not returning to the neutral position after a turn are still valid and should be remembered by anyone towing a Model A in the future with a FIXED tow bar and no "driver" in the Model A. Without disabling the drag link, the key to a going around corners is to make wide, gentle turns and then check that the wheels have returned to the center position after a sharp turn.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote