View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I just did almost the same thing that Tom did a few days ago, only I used Evaporust instead of vinegar. I am wondering if vinegar would work about the same and much cheaper. However, I was afraid something like an acid, even a mild one like vinegar, would cause problems with the brass cladding or get trapped under the cladding and cause trouble. I am trying to separate the steel backing from the brass cladding to get it replated - it is really crimped on tight and still haven't figured out how to remove the cladding without damaging it. I needed to derust the center bumper emblem that was pretty rusted. The heated Evaporust worked great, much faster and better than when I used it unheated. I used the low setting on the Crockpot and the Evaporust didn't boil, but was quite hot. I let it cook for a day and the small amount of the Evaporust was looking pretty discolored (would have probably still worked OK), but I dumped it (maybe 2 or 3 oz.) and put some fresh Evaporust in the jar for a second day. Unfortunatley I didn't think to take a picture of the setup in the Crockpot. I put about 3/4" of water in the Crockpot, put about 3/4" of Evaporust in a small glass jar, put the emblem in the jar and set the jar in the Crockpot. I used much less Evaporust ($$) this way. I was concerned about the brass is why I did the "douple cooker" method. Normally that wouldn't be necessary. I am posting pictures of before and after the derusting operation. I got a little flash rusting (top part) as I didn't dry the steel immediately after removing it from the Evaporust. Next time I will.
Rusty Nelson

RUSTY .............
A good rinse in baking soda will nuetralize the acid in the vinegar.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote