View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 03:02 PM   #968
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Les Diablerets.

A small Swiss mountain ski resort. From Montreux take a small train up the mountain. This train propels itself by cog and chain, very slowly up the steep slope to the small village of Les Diablerets which translated means “the little devils”. It retains much of its original character. Or it did in 1972.
Patsy and I stayed in a little wooden hotel, Les Chamois, which is shown today on google maps as a big hotel. The only English-speaking person was a patron by the name of Maurice and he taught us something I’ll not forget. I’ll pass it on to you now.
Prior to taking a drink it is a world wide custom to bring glasses together with a small clink or even big crash and say “cheers”. The impact is dependent on the structural integrity of the glasses I guess and the number that have already gone down ones neck. Well we all look at our glasses as we do so. Maurice said wrong. We should look into each other’s eyes. Good idea and I’ve done this ever since.
It was at the Model A national meeting 2018 at Murray Bridge South Australia where our group of eight attended and enjoyed ourselves immensely. I taught them all to clink glasses at the same time look into each other’s eyes, cry “eyes” and followed by lifting glasses arm’s length and saying together “hoorst” rising from their seat at the same time. It was sort of a bonding call of a small gang and such fun. It created attention and laughter from other attendees who like us had good taste because they too drove motorcars the same as ours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Unknown-6.jpeg (12.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: png images-1.png (7.3 KB, 2 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-08-2021 at 06:51 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote