View Single Post
Old 04-30-2021, 09:26 AM   #16
Dick Carne

Default Re: Cabriolet Top Installation

I had tried to respond earlier but did so on my I-pad - nothing came out. However, since then, there have been several additional responses and I thank each of you profusely for taking the time to offer your thoughts and suggestions.

I was very fortunate when I acquired this car in that it had been owned by the former owner (and then his son) since 1936, so it was essentially a two-owner car when I purchased it. The really nice thing about this car was that with the exception of the rearview mirror, it seemed to be complete and altogether fairly solid. As for alignment issues, I replaced all of the floor sills, but did not touch the adjusting rods, so the doors still close remarkably well, have good alignment, and do not seem to be stressed at any point in their operation. I was also able to obtain new top bows (I got them through Snyders, but I think they were probably made by Classic Wood). The bows have a nice subtle arc to them, and the top mechanism itself folds up and down with ease.

Once again, everyone's comments have been greatly appreciated, and for those that have actually worked on this phase of restoration on any of these old gentlemen, your thoughts and suggestions have proven to be most insightful. Please continue to offer any thoughts and recommendations that might come to mind, as I do check this site when and as I am able. Thanks again to all.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote