View Single Post
Old 04-27-2021, 11:35 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Cabriolet Top Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I concede to the fact that I haven't done a wood bodied car like the 68C Cabriolet. They do have a lot more flexibility than the steel bodied counterparts. There is a reason Folks don't see too many Chevrolet cars of the same era due to that fact. Wood bodied cars don't allow for much time in the elements and wood is not predictable about how it deteriorates. I certainly wouldn't be afraid of one though. A person just has to understand that there can be adverse reactions to certain assembly procedures unless there is previous experience in the mix. There will be less folks out there with experience over time so a person has to start somewhere just to gain that skill level.

I'm sure Ford has a valid procedure that if followed, even a 1st timer can get it down using good common sense and care to look long and hard before leaping. Set up the structure first as the body is assembled and that includes the top structure. If the top material can not be made to fit the structure then a top can be fabricated to fit any structure. This is where the kit may have some difficulty for fit. A good trimmer can fabricate a top to fit any structure. The kit idea doesn't always work well since the wood body cars were mostly hand crafted and some can be different enough to make a kit problematic.

Try re-covering an early wood airplane and then tell me about difficulty.

I understand, -and that is the reason why I asked because I did find them to be much more difficult than a Sport or Biz Coupe top.

One of the very reasons I did not throw my name into Dick's hat to take on his job was the very thing you mentioned. Mike does good work however he is definitely at a disadvantage when he is sewing something that he is many miles away from which doesn't allow him to measure and fit as he sews. Likewise, any trimmer installing that top is going to be at a severe disadvantage because if the top doesn't fit correctly, many hours can be wasted just trying to make it fit. I find that things have seemingly changed where expectations are much higher today than say 25 years ago. It used to be that a few wrinkles here and there, -or binding that did not have the straightest stitches was overlooked because "its just an old car". Today, the mindset is if I am paying a professional to do it, it needs to be near-perfect for the amount of money they are charging. I understand both sides of the fence.

As for dope & fabric, I have participating on Peit. Kinda like wallpapering a wall made of air!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote