View Single Post
Old 06-13-2021, 12:18 PM   #16
Garcia

Default Re: Any help for a new guy?

Thanks for all the comments. This weekend, I checked and re-checked the point gap and timing, and even got my wife, who has a finer touch, to verify the point gap. I used the test light, and it came on at the second notch of the spark advance. The coil wire sends a blue-white spark more than a quarter inch to a head nut. There are four new Autolite 3076 plugs gapped at .035, but they are now black with carbon. (If it matters, I have a B or Police head.) I got the engine going fairly smoothly but I still have problems starting and running. On starting, I get a few chugga-chuggas before it finally catches, and while running I get muffler backfires that could wake the dead.

Among those offering suggestions, stevests, redmodelt, and 700rpm all were concerned about the gasoline. There wasn’t much gas in it when I got it, and I neglected to fill it before my eight mile trip from the truck stop to my house. Since then, I’ve added about five gallons of non-ethanol gas, figuring regular gas might work but wanting to remove the ethanol as a variable until I get the rest sorted out. There was a paper/plastic filter installed, which I replaced, again to remove a variable. The gas is flowing freely, and when I start the engine, I have the spark fully retarded, the throttle down to where it’s horizontal, and the GAV open one quarter turn.

On the advice of marty in Ohio and nkaminar, I’ll either be checking the condenser or just going to NAPA for a new one. Also, I checked the carb and it’s not clogged. Although 1930artdeco said it might be a long shot, I’m going to check the lower distributor plate and armored cable.

Also, daveymc29 suggested putting a charger on the battery and taking a compression test. I installed a new Optima battery, so that’s good, and I have to get a compression tester. He also had a great idea about finding the timing dimple. I followed his example, but besides the white marks, I also scored the pin when it was in the dimple so I could see that was in.

I’m probably not mentioning the prime symptom that would take care of everything, but I’ll keep trying.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote