Thread: $$$$ worth $$$$
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 11:10 PM   #68
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: $$$$ worth $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley03joe View Post
...How Many Blades Does The New part number 46-8600 Have ???

Harley03joe
The new part number fan that was used from 1933-34 and as a dealer replacement 1928-34 had 4 blades like the one you show in your Post #33. The original Model A fan had two blades and was made by wrapping and welding sheet metal to form the blades. Between rust where the metal for the blades overlaps and fatigue the original fans are prone to fail at the worst time and in the worst way. A slightly improved version was released in late 1931 and carried through 1932. The final version (46-8600) was released for the 1933 Model Year and stocked as a replacement for the earlier cars. Failures of the 46-8600 have been reported (I had one fail ). The current aluminum fan has the same appearance as the original fan unless you look closely. A lot of people, myself included, think the two Model A Clubs (MAFCA and MARC) should accept these aluminum fans for Blue Ribbon judging as a safety issue. As I mentioned earlier be sure to get a new one from a reputable supplier as some of the early ones had problems. I think they come with black powder coat but I saw one on a dressed up engine that looked great after a polish. Just for the record, I don't like the look of the plastic fans (such as you show in Post #67).

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 06-26-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote