View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 07:31 AM   #10
BobR35

Default Re: '35 Radiator / water out the tube

Good morning to all of you and I want to respond after reading all of your information and input which is greatly appreciated. It only shows how much variety of thoughts and mechanical knowledge for design and engineer and improvement there is out there. Let me answer and clarify what I've done and why, first off, I believe that the water flow needs to be free and flow constant across the radiator to cool the engine when it reaches its operating temperature which in this case is 180°. The problem that I had was at full operating temperature the thermostats are wide open and while sitting in traffic the water was pumping too fast and not being able to flow through the radiator cores quick enough. The engine temp would raise somewhat and then cool immediately when I started to move. The most amount of coolant I would lose as about five to six quarts and the engine would perform fine, temperature etc. I just found that losing all that coolant wasn't necessary due to the flow of water being too much. When I put high flow pumps in I thought it was a lack of flow to start with and there was no vacuum to draw the water and that's why I went to the high flow pumps. When the radiator was reconditioned and I was told that it probably wasn't the issue I began to think about some way to restrict the flow because when I did try dual thermostats the water loss didn't occur however the fluctuation and temperature was too often and too much. So, I decided to try this method with restrictor washers and it appears to be working. Mind you, summer is coming in a few months here and the temperature will be significantly hotter and I will have to reevaluate everything to see if I keep this setup or move on to something else, each climate condition around the country calls for different setups and I'm sure all of yours work for you. With this exchange of information is how we get the job done to help one another. I will report back to let you know how this works. I do appreciate and value all for your input as I continue to lean on this site for advice.
BobR35 is offline   Reply With Quote