View Single Post
Old 09-16-2021, 03:57 PM   #16
Patrick L.

Default Re: Time For Clutch Adjustment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
The clutch can be adjusted from the top by removing the floor boards. This is easier for me than crawling under the car. I also remove the battery to get it out of the way. The play, clutch pedal movement before you feel more resistance, has to be at least one inch but not more than 1.5 inch.

Besides shifting technique, the clutch disk can be dragging. This can be caused by a number of different reasons. The pressure plate fingers may not be adjusted correctly causing one or more pressure springs to not be released completely. The tolerance is pretty tight on this adjustment. There could be oil or grease on the disk which is causing it to drag. The disk could be warped. The pilot bearing may be bad. To see if it is dragging, have a partner push in the clutch while the car is in first gear, then try pushing the car. You should be able to push it with a little more difficulty than when the car is in neutral.

Yep, that is an easier to adjust the clutch. If doing that it makes sense to do other stuff like clean the battery cables. If thats all I need to do though I guess I'm too lazy to take the floor out. But, as I get older, stiffer and short tempered,,,,,,,,,,,,[ smiley face ]
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote