View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #9
Terry,NJ

Default Re: 30 Town Sedan Front seat

Hi Ed and Skibb! I read your story and yes, dry rot (and wet rot) are not inconsiderable problems. if you scan through my pictures in my profile (my 30 TS) you will see what I had to with. It was pretty bad! All due to rot! These were the two seat bases. They can be purchased for about $200-250. I have plenty of Ash from a tree I cut down and milled and it was just a question of getting the dimensions and making the cuts etc. For the mortise and tenon joints, I went to a local cabinetmaker and had him do it on the bottom piece. I found that with care, I could do it myself to the top piece, on my table saw. Next I had to make the uprights on the seat Assy. These are lefts and rights. The top wood was just a little dried out so I treated it with linseed oil. However, you must first find out which seat type you have. There are four, according to Snyder's. Mine is the #3 movable seat (pg A 214). I think they all use the same spring cushion. What I need are the dimensions and layout of the horizontal "rail" and any vertical brackets. I have holes in my steel backing sheet, just below the bend, and this cries out for a rail of some sort, plus, what secures the backrest?
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote