View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #18
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: How tight should a rebuilt engine be?

A professional rebuilt engine should be too tight to crank start with the hand crank for the first few starts but should turn over and start with a good six volt battery. I remember when I installed a Marlar rebuilt engine in my 31 tudor back in early 2000. The engine was very tight but it cranked right up with the starter. I let the engine run for about 20 minutes, retorqued the head and changed the oil. I then cranked it back up and in my excitement I decided to drive it up town and show it off to the guy that owned the Parade gas station where we bought gas. This guy also had a model A that had been apart for many years in the process of restoration. We talked for a while and the guy inspected my work. When I got in to crank up and leave, the starter would spin but wouldn't throw the bendix gear to the flywheel so it could engage and turn the engine. What an embarassment. Not only that but I felt a slight chill up the spine as in what the hell am I gonna do now!!! I knew that the engine was tight but I got out the hand crank anyway. I know the happy look had left my face. There was a black guy nearby gassing up his car, I don't think that he had ever seen a hand crank and he looked at me like he wondered what my intentions were. I inserted the crank, gave it my firmest lift and it sprang right to life. everybody smiled because they had never seen a car hand cranked. I was happy because I really didn't know if I would be able to start the newly rebuilt engine in this manner. The problem was when I installed the starter I had sprayed some thin oil on the helix of the bendix and it wouldn't allow the bendix to work, out in the cold january temperatures. When I got back to my home shop I removed the starter, washed the helix of the bendix with lacquer thinner and had no more problems.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote