View Single Post
Old 02-11-2021, 09:41 AM   #19
dmaxweb

Default Re: Gas seepage at steering column

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
I understand why you feel the way you do. It's a real hassle and can be a serious problem. And then maybe not. Extremely minor seepage is not a mandate to start tearing things apart. Or for that matter, living in fear.
Just how much leakage do you have. Is it dripping, or running visibly down the tank? If not don't panic, you can deal with it. If it's running or dripping, you must remove the tank. If not, add the later column support that mounts to the upper rail, and disconnect the tank mount bracket. Drain the tank, let it dry out, and make an epoxy repair. It can be a long term solution if done correctly. So how bad is it? I had the exact same problem. Mine only had a slight weep that just barely kept the area damp. It evaporated before it could run or drip.
My '30 Coupe had the same problem with minor fuel seepage and associated gas smell. I used Marine Tex GRAY epoxy around the tank bracket and switched to the dash rail bracket as above. That was 15+ years ago and no seepage or smell.

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Might-.../dp/B001446LKO
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote